- About Us
- The Teams
- The Match
- Club Shop
Sign up for a 'free' member account:
Find out more
To find our more, why not watch our video »
Website last updated: 13 Feb, 2014 @ 10:58
Lingfield Football club was formed in 1893, two years before goal nets and the penalty kick had been introduced. Queen Victoria was on the throne of Great Britain. Thomas Eddison was about to give his first public showing of the light bulb, while five years previously W.G. Grace had captained the English cricket team for the first time at the age of 40 and in the same year the English Football League had been born.
The origins of Lingfield Football Club are unknown, but it is believed that Messrs. Clarke and Head, the latter owning a building company, were two of the founder members. However, it is believed that a parson was also involved, but these rumours are unfounded.
The Club's headquarters were based at the Victoria memorial Institute and their home games were initially played at the Alms Houses, opposite Mount Pleasant Road. The Club's colours, as they are today, were Scarlet and Amber worn in various guises, and have remained so, apart from a handful of seasons.